Get messy on our painting walls and tactile tables!
In the Art Studios, children experience the creative process through a wide variety of visual arts media. The Art Studios feature a painting wall and tactile table with an array of materials to explore like glitter sand, flarp, bubber, and more! In addition to these staple activities, we run various drop-in art programs for your little artist to try new artistic techniques and tools.Buy Museum Tickets*
*Art Studios programs are included in regular price of admission. Buy tickets online to enter through the member line.
Drop-in Art Programs
During your visit, drop-in to one of our free art programs! No reservation required. Simply stop by and join in on the fun! These programs include:
- Art Lab: Children (3 – 8 years old) explore various artistic techniques and media like photography, embroidery, watercolors, printmaking, sculpture, collage, and more. Art Lab dates and times are listed in the calendar, and the program changes on a monthly basis.
- Art Project:This all-ages activity is available all day in the Art Studios. The project changes every two weeks, see the calendar for specifics.
- Local Artist Spotlight: Children (5 – 10 years old) explore a specific artistic technique through a project inspired by a professional artist. The spotlight artist and project changes every month.
Recipes From the Art Studios
Want to encourage the creative process at home? Download our made-in-the-art-studio recipes!Flarp/Slime Recipe No-Bake Play Dough
What is your child learning when he or she experiments with slime and play dough?
- Curiosity: Exploring novel materials like slime allows children to form hypotheses about the material and make observations that may surprise them. Studies show that children explore more when something conflicts with their expectations.
- Novel Experiences: New materials and experiences promote creative thinking by helping children take a new perspective, think about something differently, and remain open to trying new things.
- Messy Play: Messy play encourages risk taking, exploration and flexibility, all key for creative thinking.
- Flow and Tactile Play: Tactile play is a great way for children to engage in focused play. Entering a state of “flow” for both children and adults deepens learning, increases creativity, and encourages long term interest.