If your child needs some space of their own right now, a cozy fort is the perfect solution! Follow along with School and Community Programs Educator Alex Astras as she demonstrates how to use household items—and a lot of creativity—to construct a fun and comfy hideout!
- Come Up with Ideas and Try Them Out
- Take Risks and Persist Through Challenge
- Blankets or sheets
- Books or other heavy items
- Pen/pencil and paper to plan your design
Tips for Adults:
- If your child is getting frustrated, encourage them to learn from what’s not working. Ask questions like:
- “What do you think we can do differently to keep the fort from falling down?”
- “What materials could we use to attach these two parts of the fort together?”
- Encourage your child to write, draw, or tell you about their plan for their fort, even if they don’t follow it exactly. Making and following a plan builds executive function skills, which are key to success in school and in life!