Introduce your child to new tools like rasps and sandpaper, which they can use to change the shape of scrap wood.
- Be Curious
- Build STEM Knowledge
- Rasps or other household items such as nail files or kitchen graters
- Sandpaper of varying grit sizes
- Wood scraps
- Allow your child to select a scrap of word and a tool to try
- Help your child clamp their piece of wood to the table and put on their safety goggles
- Guide your child to use their selected tool on their wood scrap to change its shape and appearance
Tips for Adults
- For older children or those with more experience, let them experiment with real hammers and nails or screws and screwdrivers.
Support BADM during COVID-19
Bay Area Discovery Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing children with research-backed early learning experiences that inspire creative problem solving. We need your help now more than ever.