It may sound like a complicated concept, but engineering is just another word for solving a problem! Follow along with BADM Educator, Ruben Connor as he shows you how to use BADM’s engineering design process Think, Make, Try© to solve problems for beloved fairy tale characters.
- Come Up with Ideas and Try Them Out
- Take Risks and Persis Through Challenges
- Build STEM Knowledge
- Empty food boxes
- Paper towel rolls
- Empty egg cartons
- Cotton balls
- Pipe cleaners
- Popsicle sticks
- Tape Glue
- Cut-out characters or toy animals
- Large bowl, Tupperware, or small plastic bin (optional)
Tips for Adults
- Before children start building their designs, challenge them to draw out and label the different parts of their design first.
- Encourage children to continue testing out their design to see if it works, and if does, try asking them, “How can you make your design even better?”
- Challenge children to think of other factors their designs might have to withstand, i.e. How would your design work if it was windy, or rainy, or if there was an earthquake?
Support BADM during COVID-19
Bay Area Discovery Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing children with research-backed early learning experiences that inspire creative problem solving. We need your help now more than ever.