Children imagine a funny situation and draw a picture to go along with it. This activity provides children with a chance to be funny and creative by resolving incongruencies.
- Something to write with
- Computer with photo editing software (optional)
- Imagine a funny situation that might happen if one of these were true:
- Cats could speak
- There was no gravity between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. each night
- Humans could breathe underwater
- Kids could study whatever they wanted to at school
- Artwork was never criticized
- Picture how to tell this story in a visual way rather than tell the story. Draw a picture, make a collage, or use photo-editing software to create an image that shows the humor. Write a caption such as “Imagine a world where cats could speak” to go along with the picture.
Try these activity variations:
- Think about other limitations of daily life that could be changed. Write new “Imagine a world…” starters and share them with others.
- Rather than a still drawing, think of ideas for a short film or animation that would bring more detail to the story. Do some research on storyboarding, and try making a storyboard to tell the story through a series of pictures.