Dream up a new fashion trend! Invent a new clothing fad by combining fashion styles that have not been combined before. This activity helps children practice synthesis, a hallmark of many creative ideas.
- Websites, magazines, or fashion books that will contain lots of pictures of clothing
- Pen or pencil (something to write with)
- Use books and Internet searches to find fashions, fabrics, and clothing trends that were popular before the year 1900. Gather lots of pictures for possible ideas.
- Make a list of clothing fabrics, inventions, or trends that are more recent.
- Try a variety of fashion combinations of old + new until you discover a clothing fad not seen before. For example, a neon toga.
- Write down as many ideas as possible. After the most obvious combinations, think of new ideas.
- Look at the list of ideas. Play around with combing one older item and one newer item to make some unusual variations.
- Choose the most creative fad. Pick a fun name for your fad.
- Scan and sketch pictures to create a fashion spread for a magazine or website that shows off the new fashion style.
Try these add-on activities:
- Host a runway show with many different old + new fashions. Pick music that suits the new fads.
- Sew or build samples to wear.