Work as a team to get knots out of a rope without anyone ever taking one hand off the rope. This group activity helps children develop problem-solving, collaboration, and strategic thinking skills.
- Open area for a large group
- Take a long rope and tie several evenly spaced knots into the rope.
- Each person in the group grasps the rope (between the knots) with one hand. Everyone should space out evenly along the length of the rope.
- Without ever moving or taking the one hand off of the rope, work as a team to get the knots out of the rope using only everyone’s “other” hand.
Try these activity variations:
- Add a time limit to the activity. See how many knots can be successfully untied before time is up.
- Blindfold a few members of the group to enhance verbal communication and teamwork.